Thursday 5 December 2013

Foodie post #3: Fisherman's Wharf

The daunting drive from Basavanagudi to Sarjapur Road was always a roadblock, so to speak, for me to try out this place. Today however, I was visiting family who live a hop away from Fisherman’s Wharf and I jumped at the chance. Being a Mangalorean, I face painful withdrawal symptoms when denied my seafood fix and I can therefore tack on my name to the been-there-done-that list of coastal cuisine restos in Bangalore. Funnily enough, I’ve never ever tried Goan cuisine before. Oh, I know all the wonderfully musical keywords (bebinka, recheado, sorpotel, balchao), and today was my chance to dig in!
Ah! Finally a place in Bangalore where you don’t have to drive a couple of u-turns to find a parking spot! The restaurant itself is set like a traditional coastal home, all wood and brass, Mangalore tiles and airy central courtyard. The theme is carried forward with wicker chairs, wicker accents on the ceiling fans (!) and the nautical-looking hemp wrap around the pillars. A gazebo seats a live band that plays Goan music very tunefully and is a wonderful add-on to the place.
We walked in at 3pm, almost when last lunch orders were being taken, and were promptly seated. Yay! Happy hours had just begun so we now had a 1+1 offer on beverages, and we promptly asked for the classic margaritas. They arrived chilled, tongue-curlingly tangy and just what the doctor ordered for a lazy Sunday lunch.
Their menu features everything from continental to north Indian to Chinese to Goan.  For starters, we went with a Greek salad, Goan style chilli prawn, kingfish rava fry and squid rechead.
The Greek salad was good but pretty generic, with fresh, sweaty feta that by itself tasted fantastic, but mixed into the salad imparted a slightly dairy-ish flavour to the rest of the ingredients. But these guys do know their seafood! It’s very easy to overcook fish and turn it into Goodyear, and I was thrilled that all three starters passed the test. The portions too were quite generous: good-sized prawns in a capsicum/onion spicy base that tasted vaguely Chinese, a large kingfish steak with the crispy rava casing that I’m so familiar with, and non-rubbery squid rings in the flavourful sour-spicy rechead masala.
For mains we ordered prawn balchao and Goan fish curry with kingfish, both accompanied by white rice. I had actually been looking forward to eating my meal with red boiled rice that is such an intrinsic part of coastal cuisine, and was terribly disappointed to learn that it wasn’t available. The fish curry was a delicately flavoured dish made rich with coconut milk and a large chunk of tender kingfish. Two thumbs up! In contrast the prawn balchao was an explosion of flavours, it was all out war! Spice battled the sour, sweet fought for supremacy. Never having tasted balchao before, it was an interesting experience, but I’m not sure I’m a fan.
I am yet to taste a satisfactory tiramisu in Bangalore, and though we ordered one for dessert, I kept my expectations low. I was right. The tiramisu came in a glass and was a frothy, caramel-flavored whipped cream confection that didn’t remotely resemble that famous Italian dessert. Completely avoidable.
All in all, except for the dessert, it was a great seafood meal, even if it did pinch the pocket a bit. This was one of those times where I was happy to have sand in my shoes!

Meal for 4: Rs.3800 (1 salad, 3 starters, 2 mains, 1+1 margarita)

No comments: